Registration successful - got IP but cannot ping

• Hello,

I have a problem regarding the registration or better say, I am not quite sure if there is a problem at all.

It is possible for me to connect to the network. I am using the BG96 module from Quectel.

at+cereg?

+cereg: 0,5

Unfortunately, every ping attempt fails …

und at+cgdcont? provides a somewhat irritating output

at+cgdcont?

+CGDCONT: 1,“IP”,“internet.nbiot.telekom.de”,“0.0.0.0”,0,0,0,0 –

Why is it not possible to ping? (I use the internet.nbiot.telekom.de APN)

I would also like to know if the following parameter is necessary or better say what exactly is it doing?

AT+QCFG=“nbsibscramble“,1

Best Regards,
    Max

• Hello Max,

AT + QCFG is a command to set or read different configuration parameters of the module. nbsibscramble is one such command. With the command

AT+QCFG=“nbsibscramble”, 1

the so-called code scrambling is deactivated. Whether code scrambling needs to be enabled or disabled depends on the configuration of the network. In the Telekom network in Germany, the code scrambling must be activated so that the module can register with the network. To enable code scrambling, the command must be

AT+QCFG=“nbsibscramble”, 0

This configuration is the default configuration by Quectel BG96 and normally does not need to be adapted.

and at+cgdcont? provides a somewhat irritating output
    at+cgdcont?
    +CGDCONT: 1,"IP,“internet.nbiot.telekom.de”,“0.0.0.0”,0,0,0,0

The output of AT + CGDCONT looks okay if you have a Public Access SIM card. The APN of the Public Access SIM card is “internet.nbiot.telekom.de”, as well as in your edition. So you should be able to ping a server.

To ping a server, BG96 uses the command AT + QPING. Before you can ping a server (or generally send data packets), the PDP context must first be activated in the module. This requires the command

AT+QIACT=1

1 stands for the ID of your PDP context. You can read this from the answer of the query AT + CGDCONT. The ID is important because it is possible in principle to have several PDP contexts. After the command has been answered with an OK, you can use “AT + QIACT?” read the (local) IP address of your module. An output could look like this:

AT+QIACT?
    +QIACT: 1,1,1,“10.X.X.X”

Then you can ping AT + QPING a server, for example:

AT+QPING=1,“8.8.8.8”
    +QPING: 0,“8.8.8.8”,32,2163,255
    +QPING: 0,“8.8.8.8”,32,243,255
    +QPING: 0,“8.8.8.8”,32,511,255
    +QPING: 0,“8.8.8.8”,32,1324,255
    +QPING: 0,4,4,0,243,2163,1060

I hope I could help.

Best Regards

Looks like your connection to Internet of Things was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.